Frequently Asked Questions
We're so glad you want to find out more about Emmaus Communities. If you have any questions that are not answered here, please contact Janet Sanders, Assistant Director for Christian Formation, at (510) 848-6252 ext. 267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
When and where do Emmaus Communities meet?
Emmaus Communities meet on Sundays during Middle Hour (10:15–11:15 am); click here for locations.
What are the purpose, mission, and values of an Emmaus Community?
Emmaus Communities (ECs) are places where we weave together the study of Scripture and conversations with one another to deepen our relationship with Jesus Christ and each other. ECs also seek to serve those in need locally and globally through our mission partners. In our communities we uphold these values:
- Christ's presence—essential in the process of conversation and conversion.
- Doors that are always open, ready to welcome those who are new or returning.
- Confidentiality, a safe place where we respect the diverse voices and stories at the table.
- Caring for one another through mutual support, heart-felt encouragement, and prayer.
- Deepening relationships with one another.
- Honoring a balances use of time for community, study and discussion, and prayer.
- Following Jesus in serving others.
With four Emmaus Communities, how do I choose one that is right for me?
We have four communities that range from 20 to 75 people. Each EC upholds the community values yet in their own unique way. You can begin by seeing how each EC describes itself (click here). We are here to help you find an EC that works for you. For more information about our specific communities, please contact Janet Sanders at email@example.com.
Can I join an Emmaus Community after a term has started?
Yes—the material is designed so that you can join in any given week. We do encourage you to attend weekly; building and deepening relationships with those in your community is one of the hallmarks of our life together.