2017–2018 Nominating Committee Elected
Congratulations to the Nominating Committee elected at the September 24, 2017 Congregational Meeting. Jason Draut, Bonnie Johnston, Jeff Kang, James Kifuthu, Eric Mowat, and Peter Schroepfer (Deacon) will join Elder Co-Chairs Lorenzo Bavoso and Kristin Loo on the committee. Please pray for this team as they begin their work.
Nominating Committee Background
The primary responsibility of the Nominating Committee (NC) is to select candidate slates for Elder, Deacon, and NC for election by the congregation each year. When needed, the NC also selects candidates for Associate Pastor Nominating Committees, Pastor Nominating Committees, and Presbytery Commissioners (First Pres' representatives to the San Francisco Presbytery).
Nominating Committee Formation and Composition
Per our Bylaws, the NC is a committee of seven or eight members elected by the congregation annually. The NC includes one or two currently serving Elders appointed by Session, a currently serving Deacon appointed by the Deacons, and at-large lay members to represent the church. Session designates an Elder to chair the NC. In addition, the Pastor shall be an ex-officio (non-voting) member.
The currently serving NC presents a Nominating Committee candidate slate (including the appointed Deacon). The Congregation elects the NC for a one-year term by majority vote at an Annual Meeting or Congregational Meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor, in which case the vote is conducted by written ballot. NC members may not serve for more than four consecutive years.
Click here for additional information about the Nominating Committee Qualifications & Responsibilities.
May 7, 2017 Update
The NC is working to present a slate of candidates for the 2017–2018 Nominating Committee for election at a Congregational Meeting to be scheduled.
Nominations are being accepted for the 2017–2018 Nominating Committee now through Thursday, May 25, 2017. To submit a nomination, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage asking a desired nominee if he/she would accept the nomination before submitting, and self-nominations are allowed.
Qualifications to Serve on the Nominating Committee
Nominating Committee members serve in church leadership, and therefore should exhibit the same qualities as Deacon and Elder candidates:
- Be able to affirm trust in Jesus Christ, believe in one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; accept the Scriptures to be the unique and authoritative witness to Jesus Christ in the Church universal; and adopt Essential Tenets of the Reformed Faith.
- Be above reproach and meet Scriptural standards (e.g. 1Timothy 3:1-10, Titus 1:6-9).
- Be a member of First Pres, involved in the life of the church and support First Pres financially.
For more information about Nominating Committee Qualifications and Responsibilities, click here.
- Nominating Committee receives an email stating the nominee’s name before the May 25, 2017 deadline.
- The person nominating a prospective candidate is asked to complete a recommendation form.
- NC contacts the nominee to inform them of their nomination, and invites the nominee to complete a candidate information form.
- NC reviews recommendation and information forms in the context of the qualifications.
- NC provides the candidate with a list of topics for an individual discussion with the committee.
- NC conducts individual discussions with and prays over each candidate.
- NC discusses and reaches agreement on a slate of at-large candidates for congregational approval.
- NC reviews the slate of candidates with Session.
- Candidate Statements of Faith materials are made available to the congregation for review two weeks before the Congregational Meeting.
- NC presents the slate of candidates to the congregation for election by majority vote.
- The 2017-2018 NC term begins.
For More Information
To contact the Nominating Committee, please email email@example.com
Learn more about Elders, including the Elder Position Description
Learn more about Deacons, including the Deacon Position Description
2016–2017 Nominating Committee
Pat O'Kane, Chair and Elder
Chris Anderson, Deacon
Bonnie Johnston, Deacon
Avon Leong, Elder