In our sermon series, Questions We Ask Each Other, the question for November 19 is “Where Do You Worship?” God says, “I will dwell among the Israelites, and I will be their God. And they shall know that I am the Lord their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them.” The point is that worship is where God is. We don’t create places of worship for God to show up—God shows up everywhere.
In light of this holy truth, our “homework assignment” for November 19 is to go where God dwells. We won’t be meeting in person at First Pres due to Berkeley Half Marathon road closures, and we won’t be streaming a virtual worship service. Instead, the invitation is to be the church on the move:
- GATHER with your parish: Every parish will be meeting up—get to know First Pres family in your neighborhood!
- WORSHIP with one of our sister congregations, or with a church in your neighborhood! Many of our parishes will meet for worship at one of these churches:
- Sojourner Truth Presbyterian Church in Richmond
- Park Blvd Presbyterian Church in Oakland
- New Bridges Presbyterian Church in San Leandro
- SERVE at our Berkeley Half Marathon water station: a whole handful of First Pres runners will be in the race! Cheer them and others on. Sign up here.
Take the opportunity on November 19 to worship with your parish, with another church, at home, or wherever you are. God is there already!
If you’re not sure what parish you are in, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.