As we took up these conversations, we saw it as an opportunity for us to more fully share the mind and heart of Christ for one another, the church, and the world. Join us in a spiritual practice of preparation for our time of learning, sharing, discernment, and action. May God use it to orient our hearts to the truth and grace of the gospel and open us to the work of the Holy Spirit among us.
We invited you to spend time in Philippians 2:1–15 last fall, to follow the schedule below, or read through the passage in its entirety each day. We offered the Lectio practice as a guide; we also encouraged you to journal your experience and pray for the church and this process.
Monday: verses 1–2
Tuesday: verses 3–4
Wednesday: verses 5–8
Thursday: verses 9–11
Friday: verses 12–13
Saturday: verses 14–15
Sunday: verses 1–15
STOP — Prepare and Invite
- Take a moment to quiet yourself and acknowledge God’s presence.
- Offer yourself to God and invite the work of the Holy Spirit.
DWELL — Name and Reflect
- Read the passage twice-through slowly.
- The second time, listen for a particular word or phrase that catches your attention; what stirs, beckons, or addresses you in some way?
- Take time to further reflect on the word or phrase in your mind and heart; what thoughts, feelings, memories, or images emerge?
RECEIVE — Respond and Rest
- Notice the way the word, phrase, feeling, or image connects with the context and circumstances of your life.
- What might God be saying to you? How is God nudging you to respond?
- Thank God for what you have received and rest in his invitation to you.